Boditech Med and SphingoTec close global licensing agreement for kidney function biomarker Proenkephalin A 119-159 (penKid)
- Worldwide licensing agreement signed to develop and offer penKid as a test on Boditech’s fully automated immunoassay systems.
- The biomarker penKid adds diagnostic value and addresses current unmet needs in the management of patients suffering from acute kidney injury.
- PenKid’s availability on Boditech’s global network of analyzers will amplify the reach of penKid to the wider critical care community.
Gangwon-do, Republic of Korea and Hennigsdorf/Berlin, Germany, November 15, 2022 - Boditech Med Inc. (“Boditech”) and SphingoTec GmbH (“SphingoTec”) today announced they have entered into a non-exclusive royalty-bearing license agreement. Under the terms of this agreement, Boditech has obtained the rights to develop and commercialize clinical tests for the kidney function biomarker penKid on its renowned AFIAS and ichroma Point of Care platforms. Through this partnership, Boditech and SphingoTec will make the biomarker penKid available on Boditech’s worldwide installed base with the goal of improving the management of patients suffering from acute kidney injury (AKI).
AKI affects one in five hospitalized patients (1). The critical state is currently diagnosed by standard-of-care biomarkers when 50% of the kidney function is already lost (1). PenKid addresses these pitfalls, offering an earlier and more precise determination of kidney function in acute and critical care settings (2).
Eui-Yul Choi, CEO, Boditech Med said “Expanding our critical care portfolio with innovation in the field of acute diseases can, in the future, support our customers applying medical advancements and improve patient outcomes. After successfully evaluating the feasibility of penKid on our diagnostic solutions, we are looking forward to working with SphingoTec for the development and commercialization of the new test.”
Jörg Menten, CEO, SphingoTec said “Boditech is a leader in point of care diagnostics with a strong global footprint. The agreement entered into with Boditech marks a significant milestone in SphingoTec’s mission to provide early detection of acute kidney injury to the international acute and critical care community. Our scientific research shows the future potential of penKid to monitor kidney function in further clinical settings such as renal replacement therapy (3) and pediatric AKI management (4,5). We are excited to work with our new partner to bring these advancements to critical care physicians around the globe very soon.”
1. Kellum, J.A. et al. Acute kidney injury. Nat Rev Dis Primers
7, 52 (2021). doi.org/10.1038/s41572-021-00284-z
2. Hollinger A, et al. Proenkephalin A 119-159 (Penkid) Is an Early Biomarker of Septic Acute Kidney Injury: The Kidney in Sepsis and Septic Shock (Kid-SSS) Study. Kidney Int Rep. 2018 Aug 22;3(6):1424-1433. doi: 10.1016/j.ekir.2018.08.006.
3. von Groote et al. Proenkephalin A 119–159 predicts early and successful liberation from renal replacement therapy in critically ill patients with acute kidney injury: a post hoc analysis of the ELAIN trial. Crit Care
26, 333 (2022). doi.org/10.1186/s13054-022-04217-4
4. Smeets NJL, Hartmann O, Schulte J, Schreuder MF, de Wildt SN. Proenkephalin A as a marker for glomerular filtration rate in critically ill children: validation against gold standard iohexol GFR measurements. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2022 Oct 27. doi: 10.1515/cclm-2022-0545.
5. Hartman et al (2020), Proenkephalin as a New Biomarker for Pediatric Acute Kidney Injury - Reference Values and Performance in Children Under One Year of Age, Clin Chem Lab Med, doi: 10.1515/cclm-2020-0381